Friday, June 15, 2007

Subhashitha

Su => good, bhashitha => words. Together Subhashitha means 'good words' in Sanskrit. Sanskrit is the language of Gods. It is one of the oldest languages on Earth. Almost all the Indian languages are derived from this language. Their roots lie in Sanskrit. It dates back to 4-5 B.C. As an Indian i feel proud to learn this language. Its one of the most beautiful languages i ve ever learnt. I learnt it as a part of my school and college cirriculum for 5 years and also done a few extra courses too.

Once, a friend of mine(who knew Sanskrit too) asked me 'What is your favourite Subhashitha?' From nowhere i could recollect the verse my Sanskrit Sir used to keep repeating.... I had almost instantaneously liked it. Here i repeat it for you...
विध्यादधाति विनयं
विनयाध्याति पत्रुथ्वं
पत्रुथ्वात दनमापनोती
दनाधर्म ततसुखमं

I wish i could have rewritten that in devagiri script itself. It means
Education brings you wisdom
Wisdom fetches you a good character
Character wins you wealth
With the wealth do some righteous deeds and thus be happy...

Wonderful naa...!! So right and so apt. I m not able to recall the name of the poet who came up with this. But, really, hatt s off to him. Such simple words with such an effective and true meaning in it... I hope to follow these lines everyday....

3 comments:

Poornima said...

I guess you can use BarahaIME to type in devanagari script.

Glady said...

oh! ok. Let me try that.

Karthik Rao said...

hey..nice work on samskrutha there...well..as pacemaker says..use a script font to type in devanagari..